A REGULAR MEETING of the Board of Chippewa County Road Commissioners was duly held in their offices located at 3949 S. Mackinac Trail, Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan on September 1, 2011.
The meeting was called to order at 8:01 a.m.
Chairman MacDonald lead the Pledge of Allegience.
PRESENT: Commissioners MacDonald, LaJoie and Timmer, Manager Laitinen, Office Mgr. Decker, Engineering Assistant Deatrick, Surveyor Wiggins, Foreman Pesola, Chief Mechanic Avery and Union President Hopper.
MOTION by Commissioner Timmer SECONDED by Commissioner LaJoie to approve agenda as presented.
MOTION by Commissioner LaJoie SECONDED by Commissioner Timmer that the Payroll in the amount of $99,217.16 and Vouchers in the amount of $127,453.35 be approved and authorized for payment from the County Road Fund.
MOTION by Commissioner Timmer SECONDED by Commissioner LaJoie to approve the minutes from the Regular Meeting held on August 18, 2011 as presented.
Chief Mechanic Avery stated we are busy working on equipment maintenance in the shop and have received the two trucks back from Green Bay with new dipstick tubes and assemblies.
Assistant Engineer Deatrick stated Mackinac Trail has been completed except for a few driveways and striping.
Foreman Pesola stated crews are working on state work, pipe on M-123 and shoulder work on M-28. He indicated crews are also working on Centerline Road and patching on county roads.
Surveyor Wiggins stated he is working on staking in Goetzville area and on Homestead and Centerline Roads.
COUNTY COMMISSIONER COMMENTS
• Manager Laitinen stated he along with 12 others met with Congressman Beneshik to discuss the highway bill. He indicated he was supportive of a tax increase on fuel if that is what the committee recommended. Further discussion followed.
• Attended preconstruction meeting held to review changes for Eckerman corner. This corner will be changes to a 4-way stop intersection to be completed by 10/15/11.
• Opened paving bids yesterday with review to follow.
• Traveled with DEQ to review sites on Sugar Island and other locations.
• Received new letter from Mitch Koetje, DEQ disagreeing with a couple items due to timing issues when inspected.
• SESC exam in Gwinn has been rescheduled for 10-13-11.
• 23 Mile Road in Pickford has been completed.
• Workers compensation case with Tom Sibbald was settled for $33,000.00, but the civil rights case is still open and waiting on EEOC.
Manager Laitinen reviewed county wide paving bids received on 8-31-11 at 2:00 p.m. He indicated the low bidder was Payne & Dolan in the amount of $512,893.35.
MOTION by Commissioner Timmer SECONDED by Commissioner LaJoie to award the 2011 paving bid to Payne & Dolan in the amount of $512,893.35.
Commissioner Timmer stated his appreciation for the maintenance work being done as opposed to new construction. Discussion followed regarding township work being considered with Bruce and Trout Lake Townships.
Commissioner MacDonald mentioned the conflict with our millage voting date in February and the GOP primary. It would be a closed primary where anyone voting would have to declare candidacy and this may effect voter turnout. Discussion ensued.
MOTION by Commissioner MacDonald SECONDED by Commissioner LaJoie to support the 4 incumbants for the CRASIF Board at the Annual Meeting.
Attended MCRCSIP meeting held at Bay Mills last week. They are still investigating the validity of combining the two pools MCRCSIP and CRASIF. Discussion followed.
Union President Hopper stated the township has purchased the Shute’s property across from the garage in Brimley so we won’t be able to store county equipment there anymore.
There being no further business to come before the Board Chairman MacDonald adjourned the meeting at 8:49 a.m.
_______________________________ _____________________________ Brian F. Decker Louis N. MacDonald
Deputy Clerk Chairman