A REGULAR MEETING of the Board of Chippewa County Road Commissioners was duly held in their offices located at 3949 S. Mackinac Trail, Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan on September 29, 2011.
The meeting was called to order at 8:00 a.m.
Chairman MacDonald lead the Pledge of Allegiance.
PRESENT: Commissioners MacDonald, LaJoie and Timmer, Manager Laitinen, Office Mgr. Decker, Surveyor Wiggins, Foreman Erickson, Foreman McConkey, Foreman Pesola, Chief Mechanic Avery.
Chairman MacDonald requested action be deferred on the approval of the Regular Meeting minutes of September 15, 2011.
MOTION by Commissioner Timmer SECONDED by Commissioner LaJoie to approve agenda as amended.
MOTION by Commissioner LaJoie SECONDED by Commissioner Timmer that the Payroll in the amount of $102,825.27 and Vouchers in the amount of $172,395.72 be approved and authorized for payment from the County Road Fund subject to audit.
Chief Mechanic Avery stated they are staying busy in the shop getting equipment ready for winter.
Foreman Pesola indicated crews are working on state shoulders, grinding bumps in the Raco area on M-28 and Centerline Road project. He stated the drainage problem at Kincheloe was due to plugged storm drains.
Foreman Erickson indicated crews are working on Sugar Island, 11 Mile Road shoulders, state ditch cleanout and general road maintenance.
Foreman McConkey stated crews are working on M-134 shoulders, Townline Road project and general road maintenance. Office Mgr. Decker stated new fuel tanks are now in and final inspection was performed on Tuesday. Blade bid request have been sent out and will have results for the next regular meeting.
COUNTY COMMISSIONER COMMENTS
Commissioner Kinsella discussed the North Sugar Island meeting held with legislature members. He inquired about the blasting in the County pit.
Manager Laitinen explained that was the Sheriff blasting in the Wilson Road pit to dispose of confiscated explosives.
Commissioner Moore stated the tree by the Post Office in Kinross needs to be trimmed. He stated a Bill has been introduced in Senate and passed to change how DNR Land Management and acreage is calculated. It will be centered around PILT money. Discussions held on the MDOT sign replacement and signs that were not being replaced (informational signs) and potential damage to the new posts.
Discussion ensued regarding 4-way stop at M-123 and M-28. Completion is scheduled for 10-15-11, but not sure this will happen.
Manager Laitinen presented Forest Service Agreement detailing maintenance responsibilities for the various Forest Service Roads.
MOTION by Commissioner Timmer SECONDED by Commissioner LaJoie to approve agreement and to authorize Chairman MacDonald to sign.
• Main topic discussed at the Managers meeting held last week was the new health insurance regulations. Still uncertain on how it will apply to management and staff who are not covered by a union contract. Discussion followed.
• We were successful in using up our state maintenance budget for this year. We did incur an over run, but looks as if this will be covered.
• Soo Twp will make decision on speed study for Mackinac Trail next week.
• Have requested from Mr. Blalock the paperwork showing ownership of road and also requested from Soo Township on a decision to if they will pave this roadway if we accept.
• Received letter from Scott Johnston requesting additional plowing of 1 mile of Ozark Road. This is a seasonal road. Discussion followed. He will be asked to provide a letter of support from Trout Lake Township at which point we will reconsider the request.
• Requested to advertise for winter temporary help.
MOTION by Commissioner LaJoie SECONDED by Commissioner Timmer to authorize Manager Laitinen to advertise for three temporary winter employees.
• Ginny Penalla with the DEQ was here on Tuesday to look at the proposed mitigation site on Airport Road and also a site out in Fibre.
• Received complaint about Centerline Road project so Ginny Penalla is coming back today to investigate.
• Will be going to Gaylord to take an SESC exam and will not be in attendance for the October 13th meeting.
• Manager Laitinen indicated he is waiting to hear the DART Boards decision regarding use of temporary employees on state routes.
Chairman MacDonald asked about return to 8 hour days.
Manager Laitinen stated this will probably be in late October.
Commissioner Timmer stated he didn’t see any SESC controls in western states on road construction. Manager Laitinen explained why there may be differences between their regulations and ours. Lot of times it is determined by the individual inspectors.
Chairman MacDonald would like to hold a Special Meeting regarding new health care legislation.
Foreman Pesola addressed issues relating to Tower Road. There is slumping occurring and not sure why, but suspect it’s probably frost being driven down from snow sleds.
Manager Laitinen stated he will go and take a look at this.
There being no further business to come before the Board Chairman MacDonald adjourned the meeting at 9:11 a.m.
Brian F. Decker Louis N. MacDonald
Deputy Clerk Chairman