top of page

91st District Court - Community Service FAQs

District Court Home    Bonds   Misdemeanors     Felonies      OWI/OWVI      Appointed Attorney       Probation FAQ

Q: What is community service?
A: Community Service is an alternative service where offenders pay off fines and
costs by working for nonprofit or governmental agencies as volunteers.

Q: What happens if I can’t complete Community Service because of a medical condition?
A: If you have a medical problem which would interfere with community service,
you must present documentation from your doctor explaining your limitations. If you are declared ineligible, the Judge will be notified.

Q: Does this mean I work for free?
A: You are not working for free. The Court has determined that, as part of your sentence, you must perform community service.

Q: What happens if I don’t complete my community service?
A: You will be in violation and will be returned to the Court for a Show Cause hearing.

Q: Can I bring my children?
A: NO. You cannot bring your children to Court, Probation meetings, counseling sessions, or community service.

Q: What is a Show Cause hearing?
A: A formal hearing before the Judge to allow the Judge to rule on whether a violation has occurred. If yes, then the Court may Order additional costs, probation, community service and/or jail.

bottom of page